Adding em or en dashes to Google docs
Love Google docs and all that, but typographically it’s a little basic.
One of the things that bugs me is how it hyphenates (or rather, how it doesn’t bother with hyphenation at all). There is a workaround, though.
Here’s how you can add an en dash:
- In an open document, open the Tools > Preferences menu. This will display a list of characters that Google docs will replace with something else.
- Add a character (or set of characters) that you want to replace with an en dash (I chose two keyboard minus signs)
- Add the character you’d like Google docs to display. Unfortunately, Google docs doesn’t recognise HTML entities (e.g. –); you could find an en dash and copy it
- Paste your en dash into the Google docs preferences form.
- Click OK. Google docs will now automatically replace two keyboard minus signs with an en dash
You could, of course, add any other other characters via this menu.